The first specks of dust are starting to settle on the ‘new normal’ for the foreseeable future, and already the landscape looks barren. There is no sugar-coating the situation we, as business owners, are now in.
We are entitled to a period of ‘letting this sink in’ and a moment of pity perhaps. On that point, be aware of your mental health. It’s important if you look after yourself and your family before the future health of your business. Let’s assume you are in a good place to take action and are ready to lead a response rather than become an economic victim of Coronavirus.
This emergency will pass. When it does, there will be some businesses that come out of it in reasonable or even good shape, and some that won’t come out at all. You need a plan now to make sure your business is in position to emerge in the best possible shape.
However unwanted or welcome, businesses have been given an opportunity to market, if they choose to take it
Fear and panic is as contagious as the disease itself and for your business just as damaging. It’s a time for calm heads, logical thinking and structured activity. In short, it’s time to get marketing. This is an opportunity; an unwelcome and unwanted one but accept the reality that it is here and everyone has been thrust into the same boat.
Your fightback starts here
Here are things you can do to prepare for your Coronavirus business fightback:
- Limit your exposure to news output and social media that might distort your reality
- Understand that you may not be able to ‘do the usual do’ in your business but, from this point forward, there lots of new and worthwhile stuff you can do
- Become a member of a virtual group of experts that can provide you with positive stimulus and be your sounding board
- Take control of the situation, accept responsibility, act positively and show leadership
What can you do while in lockdown?
Many business owners can’t do what they do and so can’t get paid. In respect of financial support for businesses visit the government information online. Business owners may not be able to do what they did but they can get marketing. Every excuse for not doing marketing has now disappeared. Prepare for the day when Boris ruffles his blond barnet and hollars: “Citizens of the UK, get out there and spend like you’ve won the lottery!” There is an good chance that the economy will bounce back quickly – whenever that might be.
You can now fix your marketing. You can show to your customers a measured and helpful response to this crisis that will earn their trust and respect. In a time of turmoil there is a large space vacuum for businesses who show leadership.
There’s plenty of positive marketing news that comes from this period of inactivity:
- People have more time for social media
- People are in the social media space more than they are in TV/Radio and print combined. The opportunity to engage is huge
- COVID-19 is fuelling digital media consumption and content (when done properly is fantastically effective)
- E-commerce will grow
- The cost of online advertising is falling
We’re not stupid. We know business owners are juggling family and money issues. We will be sharing practical ideas that you can do in your own time to help your business and prepare from Day 1 after this virus is over.